This is not a recipe for someone who is trying to control their cholesterol via diet choices. It is evil personified but damn it tastes good and whilst the process is a little involved, it’s a relatively easy recipe to prepare.
- Eggplants – 2-3 large ones
- 3 eggs
- Breadcrumbs (gluten free if you prefer)
- 2 x bottles of Passata
- One bag of baby spinach leaves
- Oil for frying
- 1 tub of marscapone
- Pecorino or Reggiano cheese
- Grated mozzarella cheese
- Slice eggplants into rounds approx 2-3cm in thickness
- Egg and breadcrumb each slice and set aside onto a separate plate – I find it easiest to set up a production line like the picture below (but then again, I am completely OCD)
- Once all slices are crumbed, start to fry off eggplant slices until golden brown on both sides. The eggplant does not need to cooked through as this will happen in the oven later.
- Place fried eggplant onto paper towel to remove excess oil
- Now start to assemble in a lightly greased oven tray. Start with a layer of eggplant followed by passata then fresh spinach leaves. Drop dollops of marscapone on the top (this will melt through as the layers cook) followed by your hard cheese (pecorino or Reggiano) grated on top and finish with light sprinkling of grated mozzarella
- Repeat layers until tray filled
- Top with heavier layer of grated mozzarella and cover with foil.
- Cook in a moderate oven for 45-50 minutes removing the foil for the final ten minutes to brown the top.
Serve with salad……. And a glass of red…… and possibly a defibrillator machine